Zerodha is one amongst the largest and most favored brokerage service providers in India. With the advent of technology in the IT boom of 2000. India saw some of the largest IT service providers take birth. Although recently, Zerodha started in the year 2010. The company left no stone unturned in terms to grasp the market share and became India’s largest brokerage service provider in just the span of a decade.
With the industry being managed by many small and medium-sized brokerage houses. Zerodha came in and became the house name and with its customer-centric service model. The company today has become a ‘Unicorn’ with over 50 lakh active customers and growing. This contributes to over 15% of all Indian retail trading volumes.
Zerodha stands for “Zero” + “Rodha”. A literal Sanskrit translation means, “Zero barriers” (Rodha in Sanskrit means barrier). With a vision to break all the barriers, The company started its journey to break the issues which were earlier faced by Indian Investors and traders.
Today, Zerodha provides online brokerage services to Investors/Traders in various segments such as Equity, Currency, Commodity, IPO, Direct Mutual Funds service, SIP, ETF Investing, and others.
Zerodha owns “Rainmatter” a fintech fund and incubator, which has invested in several fintech startups with the goal of growing the Indian capital markets.
About Zerodha founders:
Started in the year 2010 on August 15th on the auspicious day of India’s independence. The company with an intention to give the Indian investors and traders community a break of freedom from high transaction charges and unnecessary hidden costs.
- Founder & Chief Executive Officer (CEO): Mr.Nithin Kamath
- Co-founder & Chief Financial Officer (CFO): Mr.Nikhil Kamath
- Co-founder & Chief Technology Officer (CTO): Mr.Kailash Nadh
Customer ratings and review:
|Sl.No||Particulars||Customer ratings (Out of 10)|
|1||Brokerage Charges & Fees||9.5 / 10|
|2||Platform UI||9.7 / 10|
|3||Products & Services||9.3 / 10|
|4||Trading Experience||9.0 / 10|
|5||Customer Service||8.5 / 10|
|6||Overall Experience||9.2 / 10|
Zerodha Brokerage Information:
Zerodha Broking Limited
- Member of The National Stock Exchange of India Limited (NSE) and The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) Registration no: INZ000031633
- Central Depository Services (India) Limited (CDSL): Depository services through Zerodha Securities Private Limited. The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) Registration no: IN-DP-100-2015
- Multi Commodity Exchange Limited (MCX): Commodity Trading through Zerodha Commodities Private Limited. Multi Commodity Exchange Limited (MCX) SEBI Registration no: INZ000038238
Types of Zerodha Demat account and their account opening charges:
- Regular Demat account (Online account Opening): Opening a Demat account via online mode in Zerodha costs you Rs. 200 (Rs. 300 in case of Demat account for Equity and Commodity).
- Regular Demat account (Offline account Opening): Opening a Demat account via online mode in Zerodha costs you Rs. 400 (Rs. 600 in case of Demat account for Equity and Commodity).
- Non-Resident Indian (NRI) account: Demat account comes at account opening only via offline mode and charges are at Rs. 500 per account (Equity & Commodity segment is not available). Approach Zerodha Partner banks to obtain the Portfolio Investment Scheme (PIS) permission letter & submit the same alongside your account opening form.
- Firm, LLP, HUF, and others: In the case of Partnership Firm, Limited Liability Partnership (LLP), Hindu Undivided Family (HUF), and other corporates, Demat account comes at account opening only via offline mode and charges are at Rs. 500 per account (Rs. 800 in case of Demat account for Equity and Commodity).
Zerodha Softwares to assist Investors & Traders:
- Zerodha Kite 3.0 (Web-based Trading Platform)
- Zerodha Kite Android / Kite iOS (Mobile app based Trading Platform)
- Zerodha Sentinel (Price alert tool)
- Zerodha Pi
- Zerodha Coin (Direct Mutual Fund Investment)
- Zerodha Varsity
Zerodha Partnered products to assist Investors & Traders:
- Golden Pi
Zerodha review – Pros:
- Largest and the most popular Discount broker in India.
- Offers the best tools for users. – Kite, Console Coin
- Limited charges
- Customer service/ Support
- Gift stocks to your loved ones at Rs. 25
- Investor Education platforms such as “Zerodha Varsity”
- GTT orders
Best features of Zerodha Kite:
- Multiple Market Watch window
- Load and Exit multiple order in a single click
- Live streaming stock quotes
- Multiple chart view. Additional support via “TradingView”
- Notifications upon transaction
- Multiple Order type
- Ease to use User Interface (UI) – Best in the Industry!
- Multilingual Support
- Floating order window
- Market in-depth analysis and updates
- Place direct order from the chart
Zerodha review – Cons:
- Immediate payout is not available.
- Trade via Brokerage call is chargeable at Rs. 25 per trade.
- Covers only Indian market.
- Server crash!
Zerodha Brokerage Charges:
|1||Equity Delivery||Free||Investing at almost free of cost basis. You just pay Security Transaction Tax (very minimum)|
|2||Equity Intraday (MIS)||Flat Rs. 20 per order or 0.03% whichever is lower||Intraday trading at Industry low price. The same is offered at various segments at same price range.|
|3||Equity Futures||Flat Rs. 20 per order or 0.03% whichever is lower||Intraday trading at Industry low price. The same is offered at various segments at same price range.|
|4||Equity Options||Flat Rs. 20 per order||Intraday trading at Industry low price. The same is offered at various segments at same price range.|
|5||Commodity futures||Flat Rs. 20 per order or 0.03% whichever is lower||Intraday trading at Industry low price. The same is offered at various segments at same price range.|
|6||Commodity Options||Flat Rs. 20 per order or 0.03% whichever is lower||Intraday trading at Industry low price. The same is offered at various segments at same price range.|
|7||Currency futures||Flat Rs. 20 per order or 0.03% whichever is lower||Intraday trading at Industry low price. The same is offered at various segments at same price range.|
|8||Currency options||Flat Rs. 20 per order or 0.03% whichever is lower||Intraday trading at Industry low price. The same is offered at various segments at same price range.|
|9||IPO||Free||Investing in newly issued IPO's at free of cost basis. No hidden charges.|
|10||Direct Mutual Funds||Free, Zero Brokerage||Zerodha assist an individual to invest in various Mutual Funds are free of cost.|
|11||Call & Trade charges||Rs. 50 per order||Call and Put trades at reasonable trnasaction charges. Industry average charges.|
|12||Auto-Square-off charges||Rs. 50 per order||Those trade left open will be automatically cloes by Zerodha IT. Such forced closure will be charged.|
|13||Payment gateway charges||Rs. 9 per fund transfer + GST||Charges applicable at the time of bank to zerodh and vice-versa fund transfers. Industry average charges.|
|14||Depository Participant (DP) charges||Rs. 13.5 + GST||Levied by CDSL per stock sale transaction from your holdings. Industry average charges.|
|Sl.No||Zerodha charges||Equity delivery||Equity intraday||Equity futures||Equity options|
|1||Brokerage||Zero Brokerage||0.03% or Rs. 20/executed order whichever is lower||0.03% or Rs. 20/executed order whichever is lower||Flat Rs. 20 per executed order|
|2||STT/CTT||0.1% on buy & sell||0.025% on the sell side||0.01% on sell side||0.05% on sell side (on premium)|
|3||Transaction charges||NSE: 0.00345%||NSE: 0.00345%||NSE: 0.002%||NSE: 0.053% (on premium)|
|4||GST||18% on (brokerage + transaction charges)||18% on (brokerage + transaction charges)||18% on (brokerage + transaction charges)||18% on (brokerage + transaction charges)|
|5||SEBI charges||Rs. 5 / crore||Rs. 5 / crore||Rs. 5 / crore||Rs. 5 / crore|
|6||Stamp charges||0.015% or Rs. 1500 / crore on buy side||0.003% or Rs. 300 / crore on buy side||0.002% or Rs. 200 / crore on buy side||0.003% or Rs. 300 / crore on buy side|
|Sl.No||Zerodha charges||Currency futures||Currency options|
|1||Brokerage||0.03% or Rs. 20/executed order whichever is lower||0.03% or Rs. 20/executed order whichever is lower|
|2||STT/CTT||No STT||No STT|
|3||Transaction charges||NSE: Exchange txn charge: 0.0009%||NSE: Exchange txn charge: 0.035%|
|4||Transaction charges||BSE: Exchange txn charge: 0.00022%||BSE: Exchange txn charge: 0.001%|
|5||GST||18% on (brokerage + transaction charges)||18% on (brokerage + transaction charges)|
|6||SEBI charges||Rs. 5 / crore||Rs. 5 / crore|
|7||Stamp charges||0.0001% or Rs. 10 / crore on buy side||0.0001% or Rs. 10 / crore on buy side|
|Sl.No||Zerodha charges||Commodity futures||Commodity options|
|1||Brokerage||0.03% or Rs. 20/executed order whichever is lower||0.03% or Rs. 20/executed order whichever is lower|
|2||STT/CTT||0.01% on sell side (Non-Agri)||0.05% on sell side|
|3||Transaction charges||Group A: Exchange txn charge: 0.0026%||Exchange txn charge: 0|
|3||Transaction charges||Group B: Exchange txn charge: CASTORSEED - 0.0005%; KAPAS - 0.0005%; PEPPER - 0.00005%; RBDPMOLEIN - 0.001%||-|
|4||GST||18% on (brokerage + transaction charges)||18% on (brokerage + transaction charges)|
|5||SEBI charges||Agri: Rs. 1 / crore||-|
|5||SEBI charges||Non-agri: Rs. 5 / crore||Rs. 5 / crore|
|6||Stamp charges||0.002% or Rs. 200 / crore on buy side||0.003% or Rs. 300 / crore on buy side|
Securities Transaction Tax charged by Zerodha:
Securities Transaction Tax is a direct tax charged on purchase and sale of securities that are listed on the recognized stock exchanges in India. STT is always calculated on the Average Price.
The Security Transaction Tax (STT) is a charge that is only for the sell-side in intraday (charged at 0.025% of the average price traded) and F&O transactions as well. It will be charged on both sides (buy and sell) for Equity trades (charged at 0.1% of the average price transacted).
Note: Industry average charges are those that are mandatory charges applicable no matter what brokerage service you use. They are mandatory expenses and are minimum in cost. An Individual Investor/Trader need not bother about such expenses/charges.
Account Maintenance Charges (AMC) by Zerodha:
The Annual Maintenance Charge is now renamed to Account Maintenance Charge. The Account Maintenance Charge (AMC) is the cost to maintain your Demat account and thus, it is applicable only for the Demat account maintained by Zerodha, i.e. your trading account and commodity account will not have any maintenance charge.
- Rs. 300 + 18% GST – For individuals, HUFs, NRIs, and partnership firms. Amounting Rs. 354 per year.
- Rs. 1000 + 18% GST – For corporates, i.e. LLPs and private & public companies. Amounting Rs. 1,180 per year.
- For IL&FS Demat (accounts opened before 15th Sep 2015), it is Rs. 400 + 18% GST. Amounting Rs. 472 per year.
Note: The AMC is directly charged from your trading account balance once in a quarter.
Based on the above charges. We can conclude that Zerodha is India’s top “Discount Brokerage service provider”. Zerodha charges a minimum amount (comparative to other similar service providers) and provides maximum benefits.
Zerodha Margin trading & Intraday Leverage details:
|1||Equity Delivery||1x or no margin on CNC|
|2||Equity Intraday (MIS)||Up to 20x (depends upon the stock)|
|3||Equity Future||Intraday - 40% (2.5x), CNC - 1x of Total margin (Span+ Exposure)|
|4||Equity Options||Intraday - 40% (2.5x), CNC - 1x of Total margin (Span+ Exposure)|
|5||Currency Future||Intraday - 40% (2.5x), CNC - 1x of Total margin (Span+ Exposure)|
|6||Currency Options||Intraday - 40% (2.5x), CNC - 1x of Total margin (Span+ Exposure)|
|7||Commodity Future||Intraday - 40% (2.5x), CNC - 1x of Span|
Alternatives to Zerodha:
Zerodha Postal Address (registered post, speed post or courier).
Zerodha H. O,
No.153/154 4th Cross Dollars Colony,
Opposite to Clarence Public School,
J.P Nagar 4th Phase, Bangalore – 560078
New Account Opening
Timing: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- 080 4719 2020
- 080 7117 5337
Timing: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
- 080 4718 1888
- 080 4718 1999
- Phone: +91 80491 32020
Call and Trade (Call to trade)
Timing: 9:00 AM – 11:30 PM
- 080 4718 1888
Note: You will be charged Rs 50 + 18% GST for every order & modification or cancellation request placed. The call & trade timings are from 9:00 AM to 11:55 PM.
|Sl.No||Exchange||Financial Year||Number of Clients*||Complaints**||Percentage of total clients|
- (*) The number of active customers reported by the broker.
- (**) The total number of complaints received against the broker at the given exchange.
FAQ’s – Zerodha review:
- Is Zerodha good for beginners?
- Which is better, Zerodha or Upstox?
- Is Zerodha trustworthy?
- What is a 60 days challenge in Zerodha charges?
- Can I withdraw money from Zerodha on Saturday?
- Why do Zerodha withdrawals fail?
- Is Zerodha good for Trading?
- Why does the Zerodha server crash often?
- Is Zerodha free?
- Can I transfer money from Zerodha to a bank account?
- Which bank account is best for Zerodha?
- Does Zerodha charge for withdrawal?
- Does Zerodha charge AMC?
- Is my money safe with Zerodha?
- How many days will it take to open Zerodha account?
- Can I have 2 Zerodha accounts?
- Can we have 2 demat accounts?
- How can I open a Zerodha account for free?
- Which demat account is best in India?
- How do I buy shares?